2014-07-22

Shalom

The most Jewish thing I remember about my childhood was singing 'shalom' in assembly with all the other Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Buddhist and Jewish kids.

"Shalom shalom
May peace be with you
Throughout your days.

In all that you do
May peace be with you
Shalom
Shalom"

As I write those words my eyes well up.

We would sing those words like a mantra over and over, and I can remember sometimes one of the teachers would deftly guide half of the school to sing a half bar out of sync with the other, creating a beautiful echo effect in the already echoey school hall.

"Shalom shalomshalom shalom
May peace be withmay you
Peace be with you
Throughout yourthroughoutdaysyour Days
In all that you indo allthat you domay 
Peacemay bepeace withbeyouwith you

Shalom

Shalom"

I loved singing that song.

2 comments:

  1. That was actually very nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad. It made me quite sad to write it in light of current and current and recent events, but there is hope in the story.

    ReplyDelete